Tuesday, February 23, 2010

What I'm playing this week

On the piano

These past couple of weeks, I have been practicing the Bach prelude and fugue (WTCII/2), Brahms Op. 118 Nos. 1 and 2, and Chopin Nocturne Op. 55 No. 1.

The reason I am reworking the Chopin is because I offered to record it for the Chopin anniversary online recital at Piano World. I will need to get that done before March 1. I've been dragging my feet (fingers?) on this, though. Ever since someone insulted me over there a few weeks ago and no one defended me or apologized, Piano World has lost its charm for me. I know, it was just one thread that probably only a few people even read. However, the bigger picture for me is that when I put in some of my valuable time reading and writing but few people respond, and no one seems to notice when I drop out for a while, it all starts to feel like a waste of time -- and I don't have a lot of that to waste.

On the other hand, relearning this nocturne is not at all a waste of time. It's definitely interesting to notice that my playing has improved since I learned it the first time three years ago.

I've also started to dip into the Beethoven sonata Op. 2 No. 3.

On the cello

I am planning to practice at least a bit every day -- scales, the tunes for the English dance on March 6, and some Bach. My fingertips were pretty sore after all the playing I did on Sunday, so I need to get back in shape.

No comments: