Saturday, November 16, 2013

If it's not one thing ...

Things had been moving along fairly well with this upcoming performance -- it was not everything I hoped it would be, but that's how it goes.

But on Thursday, I woke up with a raging sore throat, the kind where nothing helps at all -- not hot tea, aspirin, or copious amounts of water. Normally, I don't get too stressed over a cold. They pass after a few days or a week no matter what you do. But to get one right now! I canceled my piano lesson and took several long naps, interspersed with a little practicing.

Friday, the runny nose thing started. I took more naps, practiced a little, and went to the dress rehearsal. The Schumann felt just on the edge of being out of control.

When I got home, I ate something and went to bed. Right about then, the cold had reached the point where I couldn't breathe and couldn't get comfortable. Somewhere during the night, I lost my sense of smell and thus taste. I am sitting here now trying to eat a bowl of broth I made that contains onions, cayenne, lemon juice, and Tabasco sauce, and I cannot taste it at all. It could be a mud puddle.

I took a decongestant just in case it might help, though I'm not optimistic. I took a long walk this morning just to get myself moving around, and I'm going to try to practice this afternoon and evening. I hope I am able to get through the concert tomorrow, but frankly, this sucks.

No comments: