Monday, October 5, 2009

What I'm playing this week

I'm continuing with the Chopin nocturne Op. 27 No. 1, which I will attempt to record next weekend (after the piano is tuned). I still can't play the middle section at the tempo I'd like, though I do have most of the piece memorized now. I have the opportunity to possibly play something at a master class in a couple of weeks, so I was thinking of signing up and playing this piece. Will report back on that.

I'm going to keep plugging away at the Bach and the Gershwin.

On the cello, our orchestra concert is next Sunday, so I will need to practice the music for that before the dress rehearsal on Friday.

I'm also taking a closer look at the piece I'm scheduled to play with the orchestra at the next concert in January: Dvorak's "Waldesruhe" (Silent Woods). This was originally one of a set of little character pieces for piano four hands that Dvorak arranged for cello and piano, and then because it proved popular, for cello and orchestra. I have listened to the piano version, and I think it doesn't work as well as the cello version. The melody is really particularly suited for the cello, with its slow tempo and long, singing lines.

I've come up with the idea of learning the piano part and seeing if I can record both parts. The Zoom recorder has four-track capability, so I should be able to do it technically. That will be a really interesting way to become familiar with the piece, and something I have not tried before.

No comments: