Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Decompressing

This past week, I've been doing this both physically (resting my overworked, tight, and burning arm muscles so they could get back to their normal state) and mentally (not thinking too much about playing music). It's kind of crazy how learning such a short, albeit intense, piece took up so much of my energy on both fronts. It was a serious challenge for this amateur musician, but in the big scheme of life, obviously not so important.

I arrived home yesterday from five days of vacation with my husband and no cello OR piano, and now I'm back at work, getting myself reorganized. Coming up in a few weeks, I'm scheduled to play on a piano recital. I've been planning to play a Bach prelude and fugue (D minor from Book II), but I'm still struggling greatly with trying to absorb and implement all my teacher's suggestions. It doesn't feel like "me" exactly, more like something imposed from the outside. Sometimes I think I am a little out of my depth on this; other times it seems about right.

And then the following week I'm going to this piano camp for adults: Piano Retreat. I need to figure out what I want to work on there. I was thinking maybe some more movements from "Scenes from Childhood" because they are short. And/or more Bach. But I'm not sure.

So there you have my groggy and jet-lagged update. Perhaps in a day or so I will be fully functioning again (and wondering why I posted anything on the Internet until I could think straight).

No comments: