Sunday, July 8, 2012

Shaky foot!

I performed the Bach today. I felt relatively well prepared. The audience was small and sympathetic -- mostly the other performers and their SOs. The piano was okay; nothing special (a Boston baby grand) but adequate, and the room was pleasant.

Leading up to  recital time, I felt eerily relaxed -- knowing I would have the music in front of me seemed to take away most of my nerves. They had put me second after the intermission, so I had to sit for an hour, waiting my turn, but I was calm, my hands were warm and dry, and all seemed well.

However ...

When I finally started playing, as I proceeded, my right foot started shaking uncontrollably. I have never experienced anything like it. It was like all of my nerves went straight to that foot, and nothing I did could stop the shaking. My hands were fine, but I was so unnerved by the shaking foot that I missed a few notes here and there because I was wondering how to get it under control. I guess I should have just put it on the floor and stopped trying to use the pedal, but I kept thinking I would calm down. Instead, it got worse and worse.

I did manage to complete the piece with some finesse in spite of this, and at least I did not rush. I got lots of compliments afterward. But it was disappointing because it could have been so much better. The recording tells the tale of the stunted performance. I don't think I'm going to post it -- at least, not until I've had time to think it over.

1 comment:

Nancy Williams said...

Oh, no, the shaky foot syndrome! Once my foot was tapping so hard on the parquet floor during a recital of Debussy's Reverie that I actually ended up, mid music, taking off my shoe...