Saturday, January 2, 2010

First Dvorak rehearsal

I finally played through the Dvorak with the orchestra today, and it went well. All my practicing seems to have paid off. If I do a reasonable amount between now and the concert in two weeks I should be okay. I was going to record it but forgot to pack up the recording device before it was time to leave the house so it will probably have to wait until next week (the rehearsal tomorrow is strings only).

As usual, now that the first hurdle is done, I'm already forgetting the pain of preparation. Is there any way to avoid this angst, or does it have to be part of the experience? It seems the only musicians who don't go through this are those who are blissfully ignorant of how they really sound. Self-criticism goes hand in hand with improvement. The difficulty is not criticizing all the joy out of playing.

No comments: